How to get the direct link to an image in my Google Photos
Many at times people want to share their pictures saved on Google’s famous image storage platform with friends, family, and business partners but find it difficult. In this article, I’ll show you how to create a URL or link to your pictures from Google photos and share them with your friends. There are several ways to go about this. One is to share it with specific people only by granting them access through their email address. Another is to make the image accessible to anyone that has access to the link. We’ll focus on the latter.
What is Google Photos?
Launched in 2015, Google Photos is a tool that can store photos, videos and screenshots taken by your phone.
It’s a solid media backup to have at your disposal. And, because it’s a cloud-based tool, it can free up space on your phone. Plus, it works on both Android and iOS devices.
To share a picture in a forum, blog,… often you need a direct link to the jpg so it would be shown embedded in a post.
Using the following steps you can get a direct link… but mind, this procedure isn’t documented by Google, so even though it is not likely, the behavior could change in the future:
- Go to the image you want a direct link to on photos.google.com
- Double-click the image for it to open in a larger display. This will open up several options as well.
- Click on the Share icon ＜ at the top right corner of your screen
- There be a pop-up. Click on the link icon 🔗 at the bottom left corner.
- Another pop-up shows up. Click on ‘Create Link’
- Click on ‘copy’
- Now you can use “Paste” to put the link wherever you like or share with those you want to grant access to. This is an example of such a link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CCnnyLdmer8BY1pj6
In case you don’t still get it, take a look of the pictures below to understand the various steps: